Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Puzzle from Amazon

Puzzles and Paradoxes in Economics (Paperback)-amazon price US$ 30/ Used ones start at USS 23

Puzzles and Paradoxes in Economics (Hardcover)- amazon price US$ 90
Used ones start at US$ 7.98

Could it be the case that in general used hardcover books are cheaper than used paperbacks on Amazon-some numbers guy please investigate!

Related;
The Value of Time and Space;
Now I've decided to sell off some of my books by becoming an Amazon Merchant. I was confident I'd sell many of my books because I follow two rules: I 1) keep my books in excellent condition, 2) undersell the lowest comparable used copy by 50¢ to $1.

So far, in twelve hours, I've sold 3 of the first 8 books I put up for sale -- all recent, popular, non-fiction titles. Now, this high volume tells me that I might have to rethink my inventory price floor; If I'm already going to the post office regularly, why not include the cheap books, and make a few extra dollars?

But then I remember that the point is to get rid of books I've read, will not reference, and will not read again; the point is to clear up space with minimal expense of time, not to maximize revenue on book sales; the point is MAX(U), not MAX(Π).

No comments: